Get your home and homeowners insurance in Bristol, CT ready for a disaster with these tips.
Preparing for emergencies before they happen can help to ensure you stay safe when something goes wrong. To help prepare each room in your house and your homeowners insurance in Bristol, CT for any unfortunate situation, keep these tips in mind.
In your kitchen:
- Keep a fire extinguisher that is rated for grease fires in your kitchen at all times. Make sure all of your family members know how to safely use the fire extinguisher.
- Hang a list of emergency contact numbers of your refrigerator, including family members, poison control, and the fire department.
- Extra food and water – keep your pantry stocked with non-perishable food items and water. You should have enough food and water to last each member of your family, at least, three days.
In your living room:
- Keep a hand crank radio on hand to keep up with emergency news if the power goes out. Listening to the radio will ensure you are able to receive weather updates so you know exactly what is going on in your area.
- Have an alternative way to communicate other than your cell phone. Cell service may go out during harsh weather. A landline can help to keep you better connected.
In each bedroom:
- Keep a flashlight next to everyone’s bed in case the power goes out during a disaster. Make sure you have backup batteries in your home and replace the batteries in all flashlights at least once a year.
- Keep a pair of sturdy shoes near everyone’s bed. Broken glass and other dangerous debris may be littering your floor after a disaster, and having sturdy shoes can help to keep your feet safe.
For all of your homeowners insurance in Bristol, CT needs, contact North American Underwriters. Serving Bristol, Farmington, Plainville, and surrounding Connecticut areas, we will work with you to ensure you have the coverage you need, all at the right price.