Get ready for winter and the cooler season ahead.
With the temperatures dropping and the winter season upon us, now is the time to prepare for the coolest part of the year. Before you pull out your thick sweaters and turn up the thermostat to get ready for winter, there are some essential tasks that you should do as a homeowner and a motorist. Such tasks will help to keep you safe throughout the winter, as well as save money!
Winter-Ready Your Vehicle
Travel safely through the season by prepping your car beforehand:
- Check your tire pressure. Cooler environments cause the pressure to fluctuate, so it’s important to regularly ensure that all of the wheels are at the correct psi.
- Consider snow tires. If your local area is predicted a blizzard or even some snowfall, consider opting for snow tires for the season. You’ll be thankful you did when you’re driving to work through the thick snow!
- Top up the fluids. Ensure that there is enough windscreen wiper fluid, oil, and antifreeze to see you through the winter.
Warm Up Your Home
Property owners, tenants or renters – ready your home for the winter:
- Make sure the gutters are clear of debris and use a proper roof rake to prevent an ice dam.
- Wherever possible divert the downspouts away from walk ways, driveways, parking areas where people walk to prevent someone slipping and falling on black ice.
- Perform maintenance on your furnace. Hire a professional to ensure that your furnace is clean and in good condition before using it for the season.
- Replace the batteries in your CO2 and smoke alarm. Get a CO2 detector if you do not have one.
- Call a chimney sweep. If your home smells like a fireplace when it rains –it’s likely that you have a lot of ash build up in the bottom of your chimney. This can be vacuumed, but it’s best to leave it to a professional.
- Change your filters. A home runs more efficiently if the filters are unclogged, and clean.
- Insulate exterior pipes. This prevents pipes from freezing and bursting, leaving you in trouble.
Be sure to keep North American Underwriters’ contact information close by, should you need it throughout the season. Better yet, download the app.
For help finding the right auto and homeowners insurance in Farmington, CT, and the surrounding cities, contact the independent insurance professionals at North American Underwriters. Serving all of Connecticut, we will work with you to ensure you have the right amount of protection for your specific situation, all at the right price.