Protecting Your New House Before You Move

Moving takes up a lot of brain space. You are thinking about how to get all of your belongings into boxes and transported into your new home, how to get your old home clean for the new owners, how to get to work from your new home, and more. With all of these plates to keep spinning, it is important that you do a few things before you start your move. One of those important to-dos is getting your new home insured.

In most cases, you will need to have proof of insurance at the time you close on your new home. This may seem like a hassle at the time, but it does protect you from being uninsured after you move in. When you are talking with your insurance agent about the coverage you need for your new home, be aware that you will likely need a whole new policy.  Your agent will also need to know if you plan on doing a lot of construction on your new home.  There maybe a need for a builder’s risk endorsement.

The reason you cannot transfer your existing homeowners insurance policy over is because your new home is different in a number of ways, from the materials from which it was built to the neighborhood to the square footage. Your new home comes with different variables and coverage exposures, so it is important to get a new evaluation and review of your insurance needs from an experienced agent.  We want to properly protect you.

It is also important to ensure that your home has coverage until it is legally not your home. Ask your insurance agent if your existing coverage can stay in place until the sale of your previous home is complete or if a different policy will be needed. Generally, if your old house will be vacant for a month or more you will need to consider vacant home insurance policy.  Addtionally, if you choose to rent your home you may need a dwelling fire policy.

To get the homeowners, dwelling fire, or builder’s risk insurance you need to protect your new home, contact North American Underwriters. Serving Farmington, Bristol, Plainville and all of CT, we are here to help you get the Connecticut homeowners insurance coverage you need to be able to truly enjoy your new home with peace of mind. Don’t Renew Until You Call NAU!