A quick and easy guide to moving your homeowners insurance coverage with you. 

Buying a new house requires a lot of your time and attention. You have to find the property, close escrow, organize your mortgage payments, and still somehow figure out how to move your stuff over. Fortunately, getting one thing off your plate shouldn’t be too difficult. Here’s a quick look at how to get the right homeowners insurance policy on your new house when moving.

You may think you’ll simply be able to move your existing policy over to your new home, but that could leave you exposed to risk. Your new home is probably different from your previous set-up. If you added square footage, moved to a split-level home, now have an extra garage or a backyard pool, moved to a new neighborhood, or have other differences between your old house and your new home, you’ll need to adjust your policy accordingly.

Fortunately, you should be able to make a call to your existing homeowners insurance provider to get your new policy. In most cases, you’ll need this new coverage before you close on your house, and your insurance agent can help you get the policy dialed in before you get the keys.

Since you will have enough on your plate when moving, your insurance agent will be your guide to getting your new home covered. He or she will likely have a few questions about the new space and then will be able to provide you with the proof of insurance you need to get the keys to your new place!

Whether you are moving to a new house or are just ready to move to a new insurance agency that will offer you better service, contact North American Underwriters. Our dedicated team serves Bristol, Farmington, Plainville, and the neighboring Connecticut cities and is here to provide you with the right homeowners insurance for your family. Don’t renew until you call NAU!