Understanding How Renters Insurance Protects Your Student

Whether your son or daughter is heading off to college for the first time or is leaving for senior year, you probably want to do all you can to set him or her up for success. That might mean helping shop for textbooks, teaching some basic cooking skills, or slipping in some extra towels while packing. Do you ever wonder, though, what would happen if all the belongings with which you send your student off to school get stolen?

A renters insurance policy will offer your student personal property and liability insurance. That means that a fire, vandalism , theft and/or windstorm  will not slow down  your student for the long term. Renters insurance coverage will pay out to replace or repair belongings damaged or lost due to a covered cause of loss.

Renters insurance can also help cover living costs if your student is displaced by that covered cause, which means you never need to worry about your student spending nights sleeping on a stranger’s couch because he or she cannot afford alternate housing.

Note that dorms are not covered by renters insurance. If your graduate will be moving into a dorm, call your insurance agent to talk about the best way to protect his or her personal property.

As a parent, it is normal to worry about your son or daughter who is going off to college. Fortunately, you can give yourself at least a little peace of mind by getting renters insurance for his or her apartment or house. So that you will not have to worry about the financial loss that could come with the theft or damage of your student’s property or liability, contact North American Underwriters. Serving Bristol, Farmington, Plainville, and all of Connecticut, we are here to help protect your college student. Don’t renew until you call NAU!