Your home insurance in Bristol, CT can help to provide coverage in case of water damage this season.
Preventing water damage at your home can be very simple, as long as you take the right steps. Keeping your house safe from water damage can help you avoid making a home insurance in Bristol, CT claim or covering the expensive repairs on your own. Use this guide to keep your home safe and dry this winter.
- Make sure your gutters are clear – break out your ladder and take a look at your rain gutters. If they are full of leaves or any debris, clean them out. Clear gutters will allow rain and melted snow to flow off your roof and away from your house, preventing water backup into your house.
- Check downspouts – your downspouts should direct water at least five feet away from your house. Properly placed downspouts will help to protect the foundation of your home from water damage.
- Inspect your sump pump – you should test your sump pump at least once a year to ensure it is working properly. Consider investing in a backup sump pump in case your primary one fails during heavy rains or snow melt.
- Re-caulk where needed – take a look at all the caulking around your doors and windows. If you find any missing or peeling caulking, re-caulk the area to keep water from seeping into your home.
- Check your water bill – each time your water bill comes, look at it closely. If you find that your bill has gone up significantly, it may be a sign of a water leak in your home.
- Safely unclog drains – if your bathtub or kitchen sink is clogged, avoid using drain clearing chemicals. Chemicals can cause serious damage to your pipes, leading to a leak. Instead, use a drain snake.
Knowing that you are protected with the right homeowners insurance in Bristol, CT can give you the peace of mind you need in case of water damage. Contact North American Underwriters for all of your homeowners insurance needs in Bristol, Farmington, Plainville, and surrounding Connecticut areas.